asbestos trainingAn 85-year old man has been granted over $320,000 in damages following a judges ruling that he has been suffering from mesothelioma which was caused by asbestos exposure.

Between 1957 and 1988 Allan Charles Geyer was a boiler maker and supervisor at South Australia’s Playford Power Stations  and it is believed that it was here that he came in contact with asbestos dust and fibres.

Judge Bill Jennings said it was probable that Geyer would succumb to the disease within the next year and set total damages at $327,474.

“The medical evidence establishes that the invariable course of the disease will be an increase in the size of the tumour, increasing shortness of breath, weight loss and depression, increasing pain and … ultimately death,” the judge said.

He said Mr Geyer’s employer during this time was conscious of  risks posed by asbestos from the early 1970s and while the company took limited measures to ensure safety, it was inadequate.

More info on Asbestos Training
Source: http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/national/man-awarded-damages-over-asbestos-link/story-e6frfku9-1226707754131#ixzz2dUKhfjp9