Council To Remove Asbestos From Fire Damaged Building
The District Council of Coober Pedy is gearing up to remove asbestos from a fire-damaged building in the town’s main street.
The business complex suffered a serious fire in July which released asbestos into the air. Community members who work in the area have attempted to convince the council of the dangers to their health.
The council decided at a special meeting that the asbestos will be removed at an estimated cost of $75,000.
Mayor Baines is convinced the public will not be put at risk.
“There will be constant air monitoring undertaken and they are a licensed asbestos removal company,” he said.
Baines is confused as to why the council is facing the removal bill after weeks of negotiating with various authorities to try and remedy the issue.
“Everybody started ducking and weaving as soon as we tried to get some action,” he said.
He says the council may, in future, consider seeking a change to legislation to put the onus on a government body to deal with the removal instead of the council.
The removal work is expected to be completed shortly.
More Info on Asbestos Training
Source : http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-09-19/council-steps-in-to-remove-asbestos-from-fire-hit/4967596
Latest OHS news
What Participants Say
“In over 20 years of training, this was one of the best courses I’ve ever attended.”
“Great! The instructor made it interesting and enjoyable”
” We heard that AlertForce delivers one of the best courses around so the boss decided to send me to Australia from New Zealand.”
“I liked the trainer’s positive outlook and uplifting approach towards completing the long day.”
“Very competent training course. Trainer was very knowledgeable on subject.”
“AlertForce provided an excellent trainer, knowledgeable on the topic and allowed for active questioning.”
“Informative and concise training delivered at the right pace.”
“The Trainer was very engaging”
“Interesting, informative, relevant.”