A man remains in critical condition after experiencing a serious electric shock while setting up speakers at Buninyong’s Cycling Australia Road National Championships. George Langley was connecting the speakers to a tree when one of the cables came into contact with a power line. Police Acting Sergeant Brendan Vann stated that it appeared that Mr.Langley was on top of a minivan while attaching the speakers.
At some point a co-worker tossed Langley a speaker cable which struck an overhead power line. Paramedic Graham McGrath stated that Langley had gone into cardiac arrest as a result of his electric shock. It took five paramedics and a MICA unit to revive him after 30 minutes.
McGrath offered praise for Langley’s workmates and a passing cyclist who conducted CPR on Langley until paramedics had arrived. Langley was working as part of George Langley Public Address Systems, a family business started by his father. It is believed that the business is a long-time contractor for the City of Ballarat. Ballarat Regional Tourism director George Sossi has since expressed regret over the accident, believing that it casts a shadow over the cycling championships. WorkSafe is on the scene and is investigating the freak accident.
More Information on Electrical Safety
Latest OHS news
What Participants Say
“In over 20 years of training, this was one of the best courses I’ve ever attended.”
“Great! The instructor made it interesting and enjoyable”
” We heard that AlertForce delivers one of the best courses around so the boss decided to send me to Australia from New Zealand.”
“I liked the trainer’s positive outlook and uplifting approach towards completing the long day.”
“Very competent training course. Trainer was very knowledgeable on subject.”
“AlertForce provided an excellent trainer, knowledgeable on the topic and allowed for active questioning.”
“Informative and concise training delivered at the right pace.”
“The Trainer was very engaging”
“Interesting, informative, relevant.”