The township’s council is not able to remove the remains because it says the responsibility lies with the homeowner. The house suddenly exploded and was reduced to rubble in October.
Bricks,glass and building materials were thrown onto roofs and backyards of neighbouring houses. According to the police, the explosion was caused by a deliberately lit fire with the use of an accelerant. The homeowners whereabouts have yet to be confirmed. Council mayor Miriam Smith stated that discussions with the owner are ongoing. At this time the area is fenced off for public safety and to ensure that the area remains untouched. However, the council’s power is limited for legal reasons
According to Safework SA; asbestos exposure can lead to asbestosis and other serious ailments. SA Asbestos Diseases Society president Ian Sheppard stated the urgency for the site to be cleaned up because short-term exposure to asbestos fibres is as equally dangerous and long term exposure. Residents are concerned because no one is taking charge or responsibility for the clean-up and asbestos fibres may be blowing in the wind unbeknownst to residents.
More information on Asbestos Awareness