Dangerous Goods:Parents Have Questions for WorkSafe over son’s death

Dangerous Goods trainingThe parents of a young trade worker have demanded answers from Victoria’s workplace safety watchdog regarding their son’s death from an exploded vehicle.  They believe the organisation failed to protect their son.

The refrigerator mechanic Joey Cosento, was in his van when it exploded because of a build-up of gas that ignited on the street.The parents have not been able to return to their home where the incident occurred and have opted to rent a house nearby.

Since the incident, windows are still boarded up and damage is still apparent in the area. The tradesman’s parents have described the scene as “the most horrific thing” they had ever seen.

A similar incident occurred in 2009 when gas bottles caused a van to explode. It is alleged that one of the gas bottles in Joey’s van was leaking. His parents claim that if WorkSafe had done more to tighten regulations on the storage of gas bottles, that their son may not have died. Mr.Corsentino believes that WorkSafe should have patrolled more efficiently, and did their job in ensuring their son’s safety.

WorkSafe spokesman Michael Birt stated that there are indeed industry education programs dealing with the  safe storage of gas bottles. Birt added that it was the employer’s responsibility to enforce safety regulations. WorkSafe has launched an investigation despite the fact that the Consentinos have yet to discuss with WorkSafe regarding their concerns.

More info on Dangerous Goods

Source: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/more-news/young-tradie-joey-cosentino-should-not-have-died/story-fn7x8me2-1226269144563

Make an Enquiry: