OHS:Company Fined for Burned Chef

The Company that owns a fancy Sydney restaurant was subject to an over $100,000 fine, after a chef was badly burned by boiling stock.

SG Foodservice was slapped with the $110,000 fine over the incident which occurred at the Pendolino restaurant in September 2010.

The apprentice chef, 19, was carrying a boiling stock in two 20-litre buckets when he slipped and dropped them, burning over half of his body.

The chef was using the fire stairs when he dropped the boiling buckets.

He received emergency hospital treatment and had to receive skin grafts to his left calf, right ankle, and right thigh, according to WorkCover.

His injuries were so severe that he had to wear compression bandages, and was prohibited from being in sunlight and required physiotherapy.

WorkCover said SG Foodservice pleaded guilty to breaching the Occupational Health & Safety Act over the incident.

WorkCover NSW’s acting general manager of work health and safety, Peter Dunphy, said it would “work with the company to ensure that the same mistakes were not made in the future”.
More info on Occupational Health and Safety
Source: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/breaking-news/company-fined-after-sydney-chef-burnt/story-fni0xqi4-1226657098067

Make an Enquiry: