The man and his wife were both hit on the head by the bin as it was being lowered and emptied by a garbage truck.
The couple was walking through the restaurant’s car park in Melbourne’s northeast when the accident occurred last Friday, a WorkSafe spokesman said.
The South Morang couple both suffered head injuries and were taken to the Royal Melbourne Hospital.
The 86-year-old man died later that night.
His 83-year-old wife remains in a stable condition.
WorkSafe Victoria chief executive Denise Cosgrove said the authority was investigating the tragedy.
“It serves as a reminder of the dangers of vehicles operating close to pedestrians,” Ms Cosgrove said in a statement on Thursday.
The death takes the number of fatal Victorian workplace accidents to five in 2013, compared with four at same time last year.
More info on Risk Management