View Training Dates for Your City
- No scheduled courses - please call us to discuss your requirements
The Importance of Food Safety Supervisors
Food Safety Supervisors aim to prevent individuals from becoming ill as a result of food poisoning. According to the Australian Health Department, approximately 5.4 Australians suffer from food-related illnesses annually from products contaminated with bacteria or viruses.
Considering Australia has one of the safest food supplies worldwide, this number is staggering. It is the working relationship between food manufacturers, food handlers, government regulators and quality training programs that Australia can boast a safe food supply but regardless of strong efforts, the need for continuous safety training is ever present.Individuals must be knowledgeable in the proper methods to treat and handle food because a lack of proper information can result in sickness or death. So how does one limit the number food contamination that results in sickness? Food Safety Supervisors.
What is a food safety supervisor?
A food safety supervisor is someone who:
- is trained to determine and prevent food handling risks at your premises.
- has earned a Statement of Attainment that shows they are capable and qualified to fulfill required food safety competencies from Registered Training Organisations such as AlertForce.
- has the knowledge, capability and authority to supervise other workers in the correct handling of food at the premises, thus ensuring safe food handling.
Choosing the right food safety supervisor for your business
When choosing a food safety supervisor one must be advised to do so carefully. A food safety supervisor can be the owner, an employee or an external person to the establishment. They must however, be able to meet the food safety supervisor requirements under the Food Act.
When choosing a FSS it is important to choose someone with the following attributes:
One must maintain that their food safety supervisor has everything needed to be fully capable at performing the role at your business. This means that:
- Requirements are clearly and concisely laid out in the job description.
- Responsibilities and role requirements are clearly apparent to the individual
- They have received relevant appropriate training from a reputable and approved training organisation.
- they are provided time in their working day to perform FSS tasks.
- They are capable of supervising other workers within the establishment and the staff are aware of their title/job.
- They are prepared and capable in the event that your business encounters any food safety issues.
One cannot overstate the importance of food safety supervisors and more specifically, hiring a good FSS. It may not only save litigation, time and stress, but also lives.
Latest OHS news
“In over 20 years of training, this was one of the best courses I’ve ever attended.”
“Great! The instructor made it interesting and enjoyable”
” We heard that AlertForce delivers one of the best courses around so the boss decided to send me to Australia from New Zealand.”
“I liked the trainer’s positive outlook and uplifting approach towards completing the long day.”
“Very competent training course. Trainer was very knowledgeable on subject.”
“AlertForce provided an excellent trainer, knowledgeable on the topic and allowed for active questioning.”
“Informative and concise training delivered at the right pace.”
“The Trainer was very engaging”
“Interesting, informative, relevant.”