Maintenance Audit Following Dry Cleaner Gas Leak
Possibly deadly carbon monoxide is believed to have escaped from a faulty boiler at Bell’s Dry Cleaners at Bonner House.
That gas reportedly streamed through an airconditioning unit, and leaked into a nearby alterations shop.
Two workers at the shop collapsed from the fumes, as did the security officer who tried to assist them. Later a paramedic and Bell’s employee also suffered from effects of exposure . The hospitalised individuals were kept overnight and were discharged at the start of the week.
There is still uncertainty regarding the amount of time they had been inhaling the deadly gas, but fortunately they are believed to be void of any permanent injuries. Investigations from WorkSafe ACT visited the site to conduct further investigations. Advertisement
WorkSafe attributes the accident to ”maintenance shortcomings” on the boiler, and are now looking into maintenance records for all relative equipment.
”We’re almost certain now that the fault is from a faulty boiler in the dry cleaning company,” said Work Safety Commissioner Mark McCabe. ”We’ve got a firm belief now that those maintenance issues probably led to the incident.”
More info on Risk Management
View Training Dates for Your City
- No scheduled courses - please call us to discuss your requirements
Latest OHS news
“In over 20 years of training, this was one of the best courses I’ve ever attended.”
“Great! The instructor made it interesting and enjoyable”
” We heard that AlertForce delivers one of the best courses around so the boss decided to send me to Australia from New Zealand.”
“I liked the trainer’s positive outlook and uplifting approach towards completing the long day.”
“Very competent training course. Trainer was very knowledgeable on subject.”
“AlertForce provided an excellent trainer, knowledgeable on the topic and allowed for active questioning.”
“Informative and concise training delivered at the right pace.”
“The Trainer was very engaging”
“Interesting, informative, relevant.”