WORKPLACE Health and Safety officers will today continue investigatingthe death of an apprentice electrician who was electrocuted while working at Bentley Park College.

The apprentice, 20, was working inside theceiling of the student services building when he came into contact with live wires about 8.10am yesterday.

Queensland Ambulance Service operations manager Neil Noble said school staff frantically tried to resuscitate the man inside the roof while waiting for paramedics to arrive.

“He was working on electrical wiring in the roof and he’s touched some live wire and it’s electrocuted him,” Mr Noble said.

“Staff at the school did CPR in the ceiling before bringing him down for paramedics.”

Ambulance officers spent about 30 minutes trying to resuscitate him but failed.

His employer, Edmonton-based Goggo’s Electrical Services, did not return calls from The Cairns Post yesterday.

Skills360 Australia chief executive Peter Langbien said he was deeply saddened by the apprentice’s death.

“It’s a tragedy we are still trying to come to terms with,” he said.

“We’re working with all the authorities and are mostly concerned with the (man’s) family.

“Our thoughts are with the worker’s family and co-workers.”

Education Queensland Far Northern regional director Clive Dixon said staff and students were being offered support.

“The Bentley Park College school community in Cairns is deeply saddened by the death of an electrical contractor,” he said.

“This is just an absolute tragedy and our thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends at this difficult time.”

A Department of Justice spokeswoman said inspectors from the Electrical Safety Office and Workplace Health and Safety attended the school yesterday and were investigating the death.

She said the joint investigation would examine if any breaches were committed by the company.

More info on Electrical Safety

Source: http://www.cairns.com.au/article/2012/12/13/237554_local-news.html