View Training Dates for Your City
- No scheduled courses - please call us to discuss your requirements
Lifting objects is part of our daily life and fortunately the strength of your back and the rest of your body allows you to do this. However, lifting (or manual handling as it is often called) is also a common cause of back pain. In order to prevent back pain it is best to lift with care and not to lift more than you can easily handle.
There are comprehensive guidelines on manual handling available. Most companies have manual handling training courses and information available for their employees. Manual handling training providers can be found online.
In general it is useful to adhere to the following tips on manual handling:
- Think before doing!
- Use manual handling equipment when this is available and make sure you use it correctly.
- When lifting objects, bend your knees and keep your back straight.
- Make sure you have a stable base to stand on when lifting objects.
- Carry objects close to your body.
- Lift heavy objects or awkwardly shaped objects with two or more people.
Following these tips is an important step towards avoiding back pain when doing a lot of manual handling.
Latest OHS news
“In over 20 years of training, this was one of the best courses I’ve ever attended.”
“Great! The instructor made it interesting and enjoyable”
” We heard that AlertForce delivers one of the best courses around so the boss decided to send me to Australia from New Zealand.”
“I liked the trainer’s positive outlook and uplifting approach towards completing the long day.”
“Very competent training course. Trainer was very knowledgeable on subject.”
“AlertForce provided an excellent trainer, knowledgeable on the topic and allowed for active questioning.”
“Informative and concise training delivered at the right pace.”
“The Trainer was very engaging”
“Interesting, informative, relevant.”